Wednesday 11 March 2020

CCLIII. AoS28: Ogre Mercenaries and Deadwalker Knights

A few more models for AoS28 this week.

Ogre Mercenaries


Till and Kazmer, Ogre Mercenaries in Sunhold.

Till is a converted Gulgoch from the Beastgrave Wurmspat box (I love all three of those models), and Kazmer is a repurposed and reworked old mini of mine (a Lord of Blights conversion).

Size comparison with a human soldier.
These are downsized ogres, converted from Blightkings. I harbour a dislike towards Warhammer Ogor minis. Their proportions, especially the size ratio between their heads and bodies, makes them look less brutal and more goofy. The poses are stiff and wooden, and the models are a pain to convert into new poses. I used to have an Ogre army back when they first came out as a faction in WHFB, and I liked the artwork I found in the Armybook.  Always wished the minis would reflect that artwork better. I wanted to take a step in that direction with my new Ogre Mercs.

Cover of the first WHFB Ogre Kingdoms Armybook.

Deadwalker Knights




Expanding my Deadwalker roster with some stronger troops. These guys are hard to take down, but are painfully slow. Probably better avoided or distracted than engaged into melee. The models are once again Perry medieval knights with resculpted faces and shambling poses.


As with the last batch, Ivan and I made Fabula profiles for them right away:





9 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting! I am going to have to check out these rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had never thought of using Blightkings for this purpose. It's quite an interesting approach, I love what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Ana! I love those Deadwalker Knights, they do have a death-like shamble to their pose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely agree on that mismatch between the OK artwork and the models! The artwork of ogres attacking a Kislev caravan from the first OK book is one of those Warhammer pieces that vividly sticks in my memory.

    https://imgur.com/a/LHxNRts if it'll let me post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a great one. I recall someone made a diorama of that scene, but I can't find an image of it online.

      Delete
  5. Using Blight King models for ogres is a great idea. The models in the new Beastgrave set are particularly great, as you mentioned. Just cleaning them up and closing their open wounds goes a long way towards making them look like something different. I think their smaller size compared to the Ogor Kingdoms models fits better with the more realistic scaling you have been going for with Sunhold.
    As for the Ogor Kingdoms models, the only ones that I really like are from the standard infantry set (Gluttons, Ironguts, Leadbelchers). They are not very dynamic, partially so they could rank up in the old fantasy rules. Nearly all of the other models don’t feel like they were sculpted with the same finesse. The ones riding the Mournfangs don’t look like they are actually riding them, just that an ogor was places on top of the beast (this is a problem with a bunch of GW’s calvary). The gnobler models are excellent, though. Some of the most characterful goblin creatures GW has produced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I myself don't like the Gnoblars that much. They suffer from the same problem I have with GW Ghouls, being overly hunched forward. That's combined with spindly arms and legs jutting from their bodies in wide angles. Their silhouette is massively unappealing to me.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.