Wednesday 23 October 2019

CCXXXIX. AoS28: Celestial Gheists and Templar

A few new models for Avananta Stormsight's retinue. Definitely wanted to make a some brand new models for the upcoming game, but a part of the warband will still be filled with existing Free People soldiers.


Celestial Gheists


Got Blasphemous recently as an early birthday present from my brother. These guys were directly inspired by certain creatures from the game, whose design is no doubt based on the more odd-looking biblical angels, such as the seraphim and the cherubim. The game is gorgeous, BTW. Definitely worth looking into for its aesthetics and world (the gameplay is also really well done, but it takes some practice to get the hang of it).  


The Celestial Gheist minis were built using Stormcast heads, with wings & tails I cut from Zombicide crow swarms. They aren't something that exists in the AoS lore, so this is me making things up again. The Stormcast seem to me like a mix of Judeo-Christian angels and the einherjar from Norse mythology (and likely more stuff that I'm not aware of). As I often do when I mess with Warhammer factions' aesthetics and lore, I'm going a step back from their finished designs and taking a different path from there. So, going along the perceived angelic nature of Stormcast Eternals, I've introduced this caste of non-combatant reforged spirits from Azyr that serve as messengers and helpers to the Stormcast. There will be more such changes and additions in the future, you know I can't help it.

*


Templar of the Order of Ghal Maraz


This figure has the same rules profile as the two Templars from before, and simply belongs to a different knightly order - hence the slight difference in appearance. The mini was constructed out of Perry plastic bits.

*

The game is scheduled for Saturday, and it will be a clash of three different factions: the forces of Order (played by myself), the corpse-puppets of a Lich (played by my brother Ivan) and the warband of a Vampire (played by our guest Vladimir ). There will be a report of this after the event.
 

*   *   *

In other news: I was a guest in the latest episode of CryinMo's Tabletop Alchemy podcast. Check it out here: Episode 24.

https://www.cryinmo.com/2019/10/23/episode-24-grimdark-worldbuilding-interview-with-ana-from-gardens-of-hecate/?fbclid=IwAR3l8P4Z9nStDhk4Izzeqj4L4VVrAsK1DOR8Nj8e0w36tg_NqO_KLNPWpWA

19 comments:

  1. Well done, very effective and well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. The gheists could very well double as aetherwings in warcry if you ever play it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, they could work as Aetherwings.

      Delete
  3. Nice and Dark! Just how I like it. You've done a wonderful job on these miniatures and I can't wait to see how the battle goes! Looking forward to you continuing to push the boat out for Warhammer Age of Sigmar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Gheists are just perfect, the Stormcast heads really work well creating this old, odd angel aesthetic!

    Also, it was a pleasure to listen to that interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Gheists. Great mix of cute and creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great set of models! These little creatures add some interest and mystery to the Stormcast. Good to hear you are enjoying Blasphemous; I have been meaning to get it ever since it was released.

    Good luck with the game on Saturday! I am sure it will be a great time, and look forward to hearing more about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. More inspired work. Dig the old testament Angle/Gheists. And the free people templar also looks great. Really like your take on them and would like to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This continues to be the best miniatures blog on the web. Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I will listen to the podcast when I get a chance too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.