Tuesday 20 November 2018

CXCV. November Again: Stuff

On the first of this month, Gardens of Hecate had its sixth birthday. It's been another good year, so I thought I'd celebrate by sharing some interesting non-miniature stuff I accumulated through the past months. If you've been following the blog for a while, you'll know that besides miniatures I like to make and collect other attractive game-related objects.

DICE



A selection from my modest collection of dice. I obviously favour bone/ivory coloured ones. I regret never buying the Maelstrom Dice GW released not a long time ago; pretty basic, skulls in place of 1s, but gothic numbers instead of pips. If anyone has them in ivory colour and wants to trade off a few, do let me know.  [Edit: got the Maelstrom dice. Thanks WarbossKurgan!]



For carrying them to games, I find mint tins are a good solution. Also fits my AoS 3'' combat gauge.


INQUISITOR'S DISPLAY AND TRANSPORT CASE

 



A new wooden box; you've seen it in the Cerulean Gate photos. It was made for Morbray & co. INQ28 warband. There are slots for nine figures, so I think I'll make that many. Since they will be all plastic or resin, magnets were a viable option. Learning from my past mistakes, I installed the magnets in the box rather than under the models' bases. The bases have small ferromagnetic coins glued underneath. The slots inside the box were built using balsa wood. The box is not quite finished yet, as I plan to add some artwork and other paper stuff inside and outside on the lid. And, obviously, the names of the future warband members to label their slots.



FOLDING RULER

These wooden measuring devices are iconic in the INQ28 crowd, I'd say. Though they may not be as functional as a tape measure in many cases, they sure are way prettier to look at and handle. After some hunting on ebay, I finally found one that was suitable.


EMPEROR'S TAROT


Blanche-illustrated 21-card deck, printed years ago for an event game at Warhammer World. A pretty rad thing to have; came back from Nottingham with my Tor Megiddo warband the time they went for their White Dwarf photo shoot.


VOX POPULI DECK

 



A poker deck illustrated by Moritz Krebs. Each card has a unique character on it. Krebs' style is very 'Mordheim', so I'm a fan. So much so that I bought an original to hang on my wall:


I love the fact that the envelope the drawing came in even had a little doodle on it, and was sealed with a black wax seal. Inevitably, now I'm considering having my own seal made...


If you're not familiar with Krebs' artwork, do yourself a favour and check him out on Instagram: @blackcrabart.

*   *   *



The first issue of 28, a magazine that focuses on unique and personal projects of the Warhammer hobby, is almost upon us. We've put out a few teasers of the content in the past couple weeks. If you don't want to miss updates and the eventual release of volume one, you can follow us on Instagram, Facebook and our own website 28-mag.com. The magazine will be a free-to-download digital publication.





24 comments:

  1. Lovely and very thematic collection of gaming related goodies!

    I'm really looking forward to perusing 28 as the previews you've been posting are really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely collection, especially love the inquisitor case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cards are lovely (as are your own). I'm a solid Rider-Waite fan for my cards, although my set is getting rather aged nowadays. If only they weren't so expensive! Wonder if the Blanche set was ever on general sale.

    Good tip on the artist too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an playing card set designed by John Blanche for sale last year, but it was a different one than this.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes, as Michael said: Blanche's poker deck was released last year. This tarot sadly wasn't.

      Delete
    3. I have to say, of all the posts on here, that simple wooden box of dice and gaming equipment is one thats hooked into me. I think I'm going to probably make something similar, except perhaps with space for cards as well (I like to flip a card when choosing between something - Emperors Tarot!)

      I keep most of my gaming paraphernalia in an old cycling musette, but its maybe time for something nicer. Wonder if "nice" tape measures are also available anywhere?

      Delete
  4. I liked these maelstrom dice too, because of their slight marble effect. I have none of them because I couldn't decide which color.
    And about your dice box: I prefer cloth bags for my dice, because if I carry them around in my bag in the plastic boxes they are sold, they rattle at every step I do. I would imagine in such a tin box they would rattle much louder?
    At least something about the miniatures box. Is it painted inside? It also looks like some white dots sprinkled inside, similar to your Chaos Space Marines some weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rattles a bit, yeah. :-D

      The whole box is painted. It was light wood when I bought it. Indeed, the inside is splattered with white, red and black.

      Delete
  5. Thematic accessories like this can add so much to the game experience.

    The little cabinet reminds me of an old type-setting case that my dad used to have, that would have been perfect for displaying 15mm minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds really cool. What I also love to see are pretty wood and glass display cases in museums. With insects or minerals neatly ordered inside...

      Delete
    2. Yes! That sort of old-school specimen case is always cool to see.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday!

    I love that cabinet / transport case. As heavy and unpractical it seems to be, it looks awesome, very atmospheric and worn down, fitting the miniatures inside perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The display case is lovely. Aged perfectly and the spacing for the compartments fits so well.

    Very excited to see your magazine. These previews are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dice! The cards! The dice! The ruler! The dice! The box!
    Love it all :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. Lovely work as it was said previoulsy. Such a great atmosphere. I frequently read your blog and this made me want to start collecting some stuff to make models and hobby desk more "fluff". I have a question about some of your dices. In the first image, the opened box, in the upper part, there is some black D6 with some baroque style. Could you tell me where do they come from ? For me i've seen them in a old games workshop release but i am not sure... Sorry for the english...Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The dice you are talking about are the GW Munitorum dice. They were released a few years ago, and are now long out of print.

      Delete
  10. ¡Congratulations for your 6 year's old Gardens! No doubt it is a necessary point in the big sea of our wargaming and miniature hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the best anniversary! :)

    November is a good month to start a blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.