Saturday 11 April 2020

CCLVI. Gryph Hounds and Trench Pilgrim



Bloodhound and Warhound are the final two Companion types that were missing for me to complete the entire Companion list from the Rangers of Shadow Deep core rulebook. They will get Fabula profiles, too, of course. 

Gryph Bloodhounds. Warlord Games hounds with heads sculpted from scratch. I wanted them to evoke trained falcons, hence the hoods.

Gryph Warhounds. Warlor Games mastiffs with heads from GW Aetherwings. 


The huge Celestial Gryph Hound is a model that will debut in the Amfast campaign as a pet for Gordon and Loriana. 

Celestial Gryph Hound. Reaper Direwolf with a GW Gryph Hound head.


*   *   *
 
The Trench Pilgrim is a commission based on a concept art by Mike Franchina. The model was built using plastic Perry and Victrix bits, as well as a fair amount of puttywork. Franchina's atmospheric artwork was fantastic to work from, as the aesthetic is right up my alley. Check out the rest of his stuff if you haven't already; plenty of delicious inspiration to be found in his gallery.







15 comments:

  1. Really good work. The sculpting on the falcon heads is great and the hoods really fit the atmosphere of your setting. I prefer this take on gryph-hounds to the AoS one. The pilgrim really captures the feel of the picture, too.

    Incidentally, you used to have some music on the blog. Do you have a link to the composer's site at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The track was composed by my then friend Luka Fućek. He composed back then as a hobby, and kept it mostly to himself. We haven't been in contact for years now, but as far as I know he's making robots now for a living. Don't know if he still makes music.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ana. I forgot to mention that the trench pilgrim is a really good interpretation of the drawing.

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! The Moorcockian bird-of-prey/hound combination (the hunting dogs of the Dharzi!) is hard to beat - and these renditions are terrific.

    The Trench Pigrim's terrific. There's something deeply sinister about that capirote-helm. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that trench pilgrim is a brilliant nightmare of black iron! Truly sterling work, Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely homage to the original illustration. A complement to both you and the original work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, wonderful work. Those bright highlights at the edges look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an impressive feat to have built representations of all of the companions in Rangers of Shadow Deep. I wonder if Joseph McCullough has come across this site and has seen all of your work to realize that world? I am sure he would be excited by it all. It looks like there are a few miniatures made by North Star which are official Shadow Deep models. I am not overly keen on any of them, but there is a Shadow Knight model that is pretty neat. An armoured skeleton with a helmet that reminds me of Judge Death from the Judge Dredd comics.

    I love the Trench Pilgrim. You did a superb job of recreating the artwork. It also fits right into your general aesthetic. The Pilgrim’s helmet reminds me of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2. I wonder if that was on his mind while designing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know if he's seen it. But now that I have the full set I'm planning to take some pics and share them with the RoSD community.

      The Trench Pilgrim's helmet does evoke Pyramid Head. I don't know if that inspired him, but I've seen an earlier sketch of the pilgrim, and in it he had a cubic helmet. That's also an interesting concept.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.