Friday 25 January 2019

CCIV. The Husk of Saint Ottmer

 

Saint Ottmer is the patron saint of orators and preachers. He is also invoked against illnesses of the throat.



According to legend, St. Ottmer was speaking to a crowd when he was shot through the throat by an unknown assassin. Miraculously, he went on with his speech for several more hours, as if nothing had happened. When he was quite finished talking, he immediately fell dead.


St. Ottmer's remains reside in his shrine in Mirrogoi. The deadly arrow's shaft is on display with the body (or rather within the body), while the arrowhead is kept in a reliquary in the city he originates from.



This dry, dusty fellow is the first in an intended series of made-up holy relics from the Isles of Brume. 


The dimensions of the box are 6,5 x 7,5 x 3cm. The mummy's head and hand are sculpted in Milliput White, and the torso is DAS clay draped with some old cloth dipped in PVA. The red and green stuff you can see on the model are Martian Ironearth texture paint and Liquid Green Stuff. The broken arrow in Ottmer's neck is a piece of paperclip with fletching made of real feather. This pre-painting shot (above) actually looks pretty cool and eerie in itself, perhaps even more than the finished version. I'm looking forward to making more pieces in this format.

20 comments:

  1. Really, really cool! This guy looks amazing- a piece of real art! On your recomendation from 2 posts back, I watched all of Over the Garden Wall, and I was blown away. At first I was put off by the poor quality videos you can get on youtube, but watchcartoononline has the full series, full screen and full resolution. Seriously, go watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astonishing - genuinely astonishing. Kinda looks like the walled up fellow Hemmings finds behind the artwork in Profondo Rosso too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your perspective on the Sigmar worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dustily disturbing. Reminds me of the mummified hand of a gambler that is preserved in a pub in Salisbury, England. He lost it in a wager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That gambler story sounds very interesting. Is there anywhere I can read more about it?

      Delete
  5. Amazing. It looks disturbingly natural, you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning work on the piece and accompanying narrative. I do so love these little vignette pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really difficult to get a sense of the scale. When you said the neck arrow was a paperclip I was surprised. At first blush I thought the arrow was the size of a real one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The listed dimensions mixed me up a bit at first, because I misread them as inches instead of centimeters. Just a *tiny* bit different ;)

      Delete
    2. That's cool! I see it as a good thing that it doesn't read as a tiny miniature.

      Delete
  8. Now that is some next-level work! A real piece of art, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work! Looks disturbingly similar to some pics of actual mummies that I've seen, particularly the natural high altitude ones from the Andes or wherever it's super cold and dry.

    And yeah, the pre-paint version is great, too. Reminds me of something, but I can't quite place it.

    I look forward to seeing what else you get around to doing with this format!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ana, been a while since I've seen your work, and I have to say, I missed it :)
    New piece is truly astounding..you quickly became real Modric ;) of false relics! Somehow it reminds me of Hellboy and his use of reliquias as a weapon. I loved this in comic, and I love this piece.

    Greetings from Warsaw!

    LordDisneyland

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.