Tuesday 12 September 2017

CXL. Samouse, CK2017 and Tor Megiddo box

Got this little guy as a prize at the Black Queen painting comp. If anyone's interested in seeing WIP photos, I wrote a brief article about the painting process on this mini for my club's website (in English): HERE. Samouse is a part of a whole series of mouse versions of LOTR characters from Cartoon Miniatures. They're all lovely, and I'm fighting the temptation to collect the rest of the Fellowship, starting with Boromouse. Oh, and they don't have Gollum yet, but I can totally see them basing him on a naked mole-rat, with spectacular results...    



 *   *   *

As I mentioned above, a couple days ago I visited another miniatures show here in Zagreb. The show in question was Zagreb Scale Model Cup CK 2017, organized by the Croatian Association of Military Miniaturists, hereabouts known as HUVM. This one is larger than UMS "Agram"'s Black Queen I wrote about back in July, but focuses on model warships, tanks, airplanes and other historical-themed and/or vehicle models and dioramas. There are, hower, a handful of categories open for Fantasy and SF pieces. In addition to manning my club's presentation booth with my colleagues, I entered some of my works from the past year in the competition. This time the organizer brought Mig Jimenez to the event, to do a free workshop/demonstration of weathering techniques, among other things. It would have been silly to miss the opportunity to learn something from the guy; things like that are terribly rare in my corner of the world. Anyway, I brought home some trophies and had a nice time. 

My entries and spoils.



*   *   *

Since I've finally confirmed that I'll be attending Tor Megiddo in Helsinki in person, I thought I could use a container to safely transport my warband all the way there. What I needed was a small box, light but sturdy, that fit all the models, their stats and maybe a few dice and a measuring device. And, naturally, it also had to look nice. This is what I came up with:
It was an unpainted wooden box. I padded the interior with sponge from blisters, forming a slot to size for each particular member of the warband. There was space left for six dice, but sadly I can't fit a tape measure. The stat cards (still not made) have their slot in the left half of the lid.
After painting the box, I made a paper stencil of the Tor Megiddo logo and sprayed it on. This didn't turn out quite as planned, but the result was ok enough to keep. I'll hopefully compensate with really nice stat cards.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the well deserved wins! Samouse is gorgeous too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually like the cartoon style, but those mouse characters are wonderful. Congrats on the trophies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! So much gorgeous stuff! Well done on winning so much and that mouse is absolutely adorable! <3

    I also have the forest dice from the same manufacturer. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice brush work on the furs AND congrats on your winnings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, people!

    @Old Fogey - I'm normally not a fan of cartooney/cutesy figures either, but these I somehow find appealing nonetheless.

    @Gretchin - these are some special edition dice GW released a few years back ("Munitorum", I believe). But I think I know which ones you're referring to: Q Workshop forest dice? They're really nice; I was thinking about getting some too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation and have fun in Helsinki!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.