Tuesday 17 May 2016

CIII. The Wilderness Project vol.3

The Wilderness Project continues at a slow but steady pace. This update brings another Wyrd large  Hanging Tree and two new dry stone wall sections.
 
I converted this one, changing a number of details. I didn't want it to look exactly the same as its twin.
The back view.
That's three done out of the planned eight pieces.

 *   *   *

And now for something rather more exciting: plans for a centrepiece. So far I've made some sketches and I'm compiling reference material.


I haven't attempted making a building in quite a while. I think my skills have evolved considerably since the chapel and the house I did back in 2013. Now I want to put them to the test with a new project: the forest chapel of St. Hubertus.
 

This mysterious piece of sacral architecture stands somewhere in the Waywode Hunting Grounds. It was erected by the Waywode family, many generations ago. The counts take good care of it, making sure it gets renovated as time erodes it. The nobles visit it when they set out to hunt, to pray for safety and good luck. There are several legends associated with the chapel. But more on that later...

The actual building process will take a while, I expect. I want to give my best. I'll probably get down to it in a month or so, once my semester ends and I can focus on it fully.  I already got a pile of antlers and skulls to properly decorate the chapel and its surroundings:

They come from Mierce Miniatures, who let you order bits from their store. It wasn't exactly cheap, but they do have a fine selection of different shapes and sizes of good-looking antlers, and I'll need more than a couple pairs for this project. Sculpting them all myself was out of the question.

  *   *   *

And, as if this wasn't enough deer parts, I present this beastie I painted just for fun:


It's the first half or a diptych, the second being the Monstrous Hedge Hog (not yet done).

17 comments:

  1. I love the changes you made to the Hanging Tree! As always I'm blown away by your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on the tree. The concept art for the chapel looks fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The changes to the tree are subtle but really effective. I love the chapel concept sketches and I'm really looking forward to following your progress on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the tree, and the plans, but I LOVE that stag beetle! The Dürer's Rhinoceros look of it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those concepts are gorgeous and the stag beetle is incredibly creepy. Will it be getting a model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It might, actually. But it would require a great deal of sculpting. Some day, perhaps. :)

      Delete
    2. I couldn't even imagine where you'd start with a model like that! As always, I'll be keeping an eye out for it :)

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of antlers. Look forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work yet again on your terrain, and I really love the humour in your traditonial paintings....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the stag beetle, it feels very much like something you'd find in a obscure nook at an old church.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.