Saturday 23 April 2016

CI. The Wilderness Project vol.2

While waiting for the next round of Iron Painter to be announced I've added a few more pieces to my Wildreness terrain collection.  

The well.


It was built stone by stone. The material is polystyrene, which I cut to small bits and then pressed against gravel to give them a rocky texture and shape. I glued them with PVA. This well and the wall you'll see below are my first attempts at miniature dry stone structures. I'm very happy with the result.
When the structure was built and the glue dried completely, I gave it a coat of plaster + PVA. After that it was just texturing the base and it was ready for painting.

 *
 
Dry stone wall.
The building technique was the same, except that the wall has a balsa wood core.
Ready for painting.

Another shot of the finished product. I plan to make several more wall sections, including one with a gate.
*
I finished another Citadel Wood. This means I have 3 large and 4 small tree scenery pieces. No more Citadel kits to build, but I have an unopened Hanging Trees box from Wyrd. That will do for 2 or 3 more small ones.
*   *   *

Speaking of forests, I visited one recently. Great both for recreation and for harvesting useful ingredients. I brought home some roots for use on future projects.

17 comments:

  1. Great job! simple and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Really helpful tutorial and a nice shot of your forests. That's lot of deep dark wood. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever use of the dropper-bottle. Looks great, Ana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It seemed like a good idea to have something around which I would build the well, to keep it from looking too misshapen.

      Delete
  4. "Then a little girl was thrown in the well and returned haunting the living through a scary video."

    Very good scenery :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Your blog has been a serious inspiration for my own projects and I'll definitely be making some of those walls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing - I love this colors! Could you tell me what kind of grass is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The static I use is Field Grass from NOCH (5mm length, two colours: ochre and golden-yellow) and a variety of tufts from Gamer's Grass (gamersgrass.com).

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work Ana. Your tables are going to wow for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More great scenery, it's really is nice to see great scenery as it's often something overlooked by figure painters.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.