Saturday 11 October 2014

LXXIII. Orderly

A big commission is taking up most of my hobby-time, which resulted in this long period of no updates. Over the course of last five weeks I've managed to slowly convert and paint the first Orderly.


As the aforementioned commission consists of painting rank upon rank of brightly coloured, nearly identical High Elves, working on this fellow helped me preserve my sanity. :P

The red cross on the poison thrower marks him as a member of the Plague Doctor's retinue.


Skull and crossbones on the tank's side warn of its toxic contents.

The rules. Orderlies are pretty slow, with a low Walk and no Charge value. Their purpose is dealing out poison with the Poison Thrower attack. To keep them from being completely useless in close combat, they carry a knife as well. I'd have represented it on the miniature, but I simply had nowhere to put it.



Below you can see the finished conversion next to the base model: a WH40K Chaos Cultist.

The bits used: Chaos Cultist, Skaven Warpfire Thrower, Empire Millitia left arm, Victoria Miniatures round goggles.
Fitting all those bits together without gaps and awkward angles required filing, sanding and subtle green stuff work. Skaven runes on the Warpfire thrower bits had to go. The cultist was (surprisingly) free of chaos insignia to begin with.
The hideous proportions of Citadel humans usually keep me from using them, as they look terrible next to my more elegant Wyrd and Rackham people. This one, however, is wearing many layers of protective clothing, so he could work. I just needed to hide his stunty legs and enormus feet by extending his coat into a robe.


12 comments:

  1. Wow! Back with a bang, Ana. This fellow looks amazing! A fantastic use of one of my favourite kits. Those cultists really are good for everything, stunted legs and enormous feet aside. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, apart from this mini looking excellent. I really appreciate how you're gone to the trouble of showing us what bits you used to make him.

    Thank you :)

    He looks suitably nasty!



    ReplyDelete
  3. This guy is awesome! You're so talented, I guess I am a bit addicted to your stuff. Keep going, dear, you're a big source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very impressive conversion and the paintjob is excellent too. He'll fit right in with the rest of the merry crew :)
    Why don't you show some pictures of the commission you're working on? It would be interesting to see your take on bright side of life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the various bits and pieces come together quite nicely... another great conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the encouraging comments! :)

    @Viruk- that commission is quite an unusual project for me. It's not just the bright colour scheme but there's also NMM, which is something I generally dislike and would never apply to my own miniatures. You can find some photos in this thread:
    http://www.ums-agram.hr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=244490#p244423

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damm, these look sweet. I don't care much for WH elves miniatures but your painting skills do them justice.

      Delete
  7. I really like your designs - they remind me of Mervyn Peake's pictures. The Countess wouldn't be out of place in Gormenghast. Personally, I think a lot of the quirkiness and creativity has gone out of 40k and Fantasy Battle, and it's nice to see it here. Your models are dark and sinister, but never drab. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Toby!

      Just added the Gormenghast series on my to-read list. :)

      Delete
  8. No problem - they're not light reading but the feel of them reminds me of your painting.
    By the way, what's the name of the music that plays on the blog? It's very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author of the soundtrack is a friend of mine who does composing and mixing all sorts of music as a hobby. When I started this blog two years ago I asked him to make me a 5-minute ambiental soundtrack for it. He did an awesome job.
      The Mp3 file I got as the final product was titled "ana_creepy_mastered_copy03". That's what the composer called it, so I suppose that's officially the title.

      Delete
  9. Well, that's one way of getting rid of plague victims I suppose!

    Great looking conversion.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.