I have received my order from Mannikin Studios. The item I chose was Puss in Boots and the Ogre, a pair of miniatures based on this particular illustration by Arthur Rackham:
The cat and the ogre came packed together in a clamshell, with a 30mm base for each of them:
Also, the package contained an individual certificate of authenticity for both characters.
The sculpts are very nice, both done by Jody Siegel. He has his own little miniature company, Imbrian Arts - some neat miniatures there as well. I haven't got any of them yet, but I would sure love to.
Anyway, the cast. The minis are resin and a few mould lines can be found here and there, but nothing extreme.
The Ogre comes in three pieces: the main body, the left leg and the right hand.
As you can see, there is a little bubble on Puss' tricorne, but it can be easiliy fixed. He comes as a single piece.
The Ogre stands taller than a human, and Puss is really tiny. He's bloody adorable, I must say.
These two characters would look fantastic made into a diorama. Especially if it is done to look like the original Rackham's illustration. However, that's not what I have in mind for these two. The Ogre is to become a mercenary in Gardens of Hecate. The cat's fate is yet uncertain. : )
* * *
And now, the Liebster Award.
As far as I am aware, I've been nominated by three different bloggers: Stygianheart of Meandring Shade, Fimm Mc Cool of Fimm Mc Cool's Games Orkshop and axiom, of Magpie and Old Lead. Thanks, all of you.
The nominee's task is to give 11 truths about themselves, answer the 11 questions given by the person who nominated them, make 11 questions of their own and nominate another 11 blogs to spread the contagion. The purpose of this is to discover new interesting blogs and have a bit of fun. So here we go:
I. The Eleven Truths
- I like to collect things.
- I have a special affinity for small, shiny objects. Especially, but not exclusively, made of metal.
- I really like books. Not just for what they hold on their pages, but also as objects themselves.
- I like to make beautiful things.
- Crowds make me feel uncomfortable.
- I love stories.
- I am lazy and wish I wasn't- I'd get on much better in life.
- I have quite poor memory.
- I don't speak much...
- ...but I do think much.
- I'm a smoker.
II. The Eleven Answers
Axiom forgot to ask his questions, so I have Stygianhear's and Fimm Mc Cool's. I'll just combine them and pick eleven out of those twenty-two; I hope you guys don't mind the hybridisation.
- What have you wanted to do in the hobby but have put off for a long time? Making terrain. I only started doing that relatively recently.
- Would you say you are more a hobbyist or gamer and why? I'm definitely more of a hobbyst. I see gaming simply as a chance to display painted miniatures. I love this hobby because I can express my creativity through it.
- Do you have a comfort zone in painting technique or colours that you tend to fall back on? Yes I do. I have a bit messy, grimy style. I usually work with my limited pallette of blacks, greys, browns, off-whites, sickly greens and muted reds. You won't find many bright colours on my miniatures; not my cup of tea.
- Do you like to have the right atmosphere when working on your hobby, music, movies, quiet? I like to have some sort of background noise. It can be music, a film I'm half watching, an audiobook, the radio or even my brother rambling about video games or whatnot.
- What one hobby item (miniature/game system) that's long out of production/rare, would you love to have? The entire Rackham Confrontation range.
- What else do you like to do to pass the time? I like to read. Draw. Daydream. Sleep. Drink...
- When you finally shuffle off this mortal coil, what would you like to happen to your hobby collection? I'd like my brother to have it.
- What was the first miniature you bought, and do you still have it? I can't recall what was the first mini I myself bought, but the first minis I ever possessed were plastic Marauders of Chaos. I do still have them.
- What could you have been if things had been different? A totally different person, probably.
- Do you check in on the Oldhammer Forum or Facebook Group? Nope. But I do follow some blogs that have something to do with Oldhammer.
- If you could live anywhere (real or fictional) it would be? The Shire. I'd totally fit in.
III. The Eleven Blogs
IV. The Eleven Questions
- What was the last book you've read?
- If you could spend a day with any person out of all of human history, who would it be and why?
- Would you rather burn everything you own, or keep everything you own but never gain anything for the rest of your life?
- Does the idea of humans technologically augmenting themselves worry you?
- Would you rather be able to read minds, or be able to become invisible at will?
- Would you rather be able to turn into an insect at will, or into a vicious beast uncontrollably?
- Would you rather have a flesh-eating virus, or have no skin?
- What would you do if you came home one day to find everything and everyone in your house/flat was replaced by an exact copy?
- Would you rather be roasted alive, or live forever inside a coffer?
- Would you rather eat fifty pounds of pig fat, or jump into a pool of acid?
- What's in the box?!