Saturday 18 July 2020

CCLXIX. AoS28: Sunhold Ghosts

Today I have a whole bunch of ghostly figures to show off. Many of these waited for their turn since the time Soul Wars was released. The almost monochrome colour scheme I used is really simple to do. I can whip up a step-by-step tutorial if there's enough interest.

The Graveyard Spirit.
This model was built by @ingrimmson, and I liked it so much I bought it off him. 

The Executioner.
Lord Executioner from the Souls Wars box. I only removed the jaws from the ghostly skulls, the rest is out of the box.

The Jailor.
Spirit Torment from the Souls Wars box. I replaced the original head with a Flagellant head, and removed the chain and keys originally trailing behind the figure.

A group of Spectres.
Converted Chainrasps from the Souls Wars box and the Thorns of the Briar Queen WHU warband. I got rid of all their faces to make them more eerie and mysterious. An empty nothing is scarier than a screaming skull, looks like. There were also some hand swaps.

A bigger group of Spectres.

A few more Spectres.
These differ from the standard hooded head profile of the rest. They could be interesting from the narrative perspective. The models are originally from the Thorns of the Briar Queen set. I got rid of their weapons to make them look ambiguous in terms of their intentions - are they enemies or NPCs in need of help?



































20 comments:

  1. The last set, the Ambiguous Spectres-- perhaps they could be those Players Characters that perish during the course of a campaign that have returned to help guide the party but speak only in riddles.

    Also, I vote yes for a painting tutorial on how you did this lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subtle but great conversions, and I am most interested in a "step-by-step tutorial"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it ! +1 for painting tutorial, I wish you'd do one for everything you paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Please write a tutorial of this

      Delete
    2. Thanks!
      The reason why I don't do tutorials about everything I paint because interrupting my work to take photos and notes kills the flow and enjoyment of the painting process for me. Making a tutorial is a worthwile endeavour, but it's not something I can do on the side while painting as I normally do.

      Delete
    3. Understandable! Painting is a process of enjoyment. I love your style (as i'm sure all of us here do)! If you get the time, a guide for the Sunhold Ghosts would be a gift. I've struggled with starting my Warcry scenery also. Ever thought about doing a scenery tutorial?

      Delete
  4. Loving your grounded and realistic take on these spectres; much better than the standard cartoony ectoplasmic look. :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how these models all look like they belong together. I also love how they're more of a classic scary ghost type.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spooky, like the Nighthaunts always should be ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, very muted and forlorn! Please do make a tutorial on these and also, where do you get all these hands from? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Sorry, I'm not quite sure which hands you're referring to. Chainrasp hands? They're all from Chainrasps, I think. Maybe from Spirit Host as well.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful!
    Could you do a painting tutorial for that color scheme? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There has been plenty of interest shown, so the tutorial is going to happen.

      Delete
  9. Got my interest as well! Great job - both on converting and painting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.