Thursday 29 August 2019

CCXXX. Iron Golems Painting Guide - Metal

Last week I showed how I painted skin on my Iron Golems for Warcry. In this post I'll cover the rest of the model, which is mostly metal armour.

IRON GOLEMS METAL



1 -The first step is Russ Grey (GW) + plenty of water, applied as a glaze over the entire armour and all the rest of the metal surfaces.


2 - next was Dark Wood (Secret Weapon), a medium grey colour. Applied over the parts that will be  'silver'.


3 - Brown Rust (Secret Weapon) glaze.

  
4 - a few more patchy glazes with different browns. You want to avoid too much of it getting on the 'silver parts'. Chainmail was an exception- there I deliberately added a bit of brown in places.


5 - Nuln Oil wash over all metal, for shading and definition.


6 - first highlight is with Celestra Grey (GW). This is only slightly thinned with water, as you don't want it to run and flood into the recesses and around details. I'ts mostly edge highlighting. Did it on both the brown and the silver parts with this.


7 - The second highlight is with white.



8 - Then, to add a bit of interest to the mostly drab, brownish model, I glazed some spots of the armour with thinned Secret Weapon Verdigris Pale Green. It subtly makes the model more 'alive'.



9 - the finishing touches. A bit of blacklining where necessary. And - you've probably noticed that in the past year or so I started applying tiny specks of paint on many of my models (mostly white and/or black). I do it because this splatter adds so much to the atmosphere of a paintjob. I use an old #10 brush with stiff bristles for the task, flicking paint from it onto the mini. Depending on how thin the paint is and how loaded the brush, the droplets will change in size, opacity and number. It's best you try for yourself to get a feel for it. Always check on a spare piece of paper before you go splatter the mini!

 *   *   *


That's all there is to it. The warband is now finished and ready to go to its new owner, and I'm getting started on the other starter warband: the Untamed Beasts.




  

9 comments:

  1. Is this effectively a rusty NMM technique? I do not think I have ever seen that before, and it turned out very well. That rust brown glaze is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the first thing you imagine when you think of NMM, but it definitely is a form of it. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I usually go with stippling for rust, but with the splatter at the end, this gets a pretty similar effect, and glazes are way easier to control. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work and great group photo at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work on the armour, it looks suitably grimy and worn without being rotten, which I suppose makes sense if you're trying to impress someone. Here's an annoying question though: what kind of colours from the gw range could you swap the secret weapon stuff for? Would it even be possible?

    Again, I have to say that your blog is probably the best AoS material around, and your work on even 'standard' models like these is humbling. Please keep making tutorials like this, it really helps plebs like me raising their game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Secret Weapon weathering acrylics have a very matt, powdery finish similar to weathering powders. You could probably find a similar shade of colour in the GW range, but the paint wouldn't have the exact same effect.

      Delete
    2. Ugh, I was afraid you were going to say that. I think I'll try mixing something up with valljeo dark rust and see where it goes. Thanks!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.