Saturday 2 February 2019

CCVI. The Remains of Saint Talula


Saint Talula. 

Folk mystic, and later travelling death monk. Propagator of trepanning, for therapeutic as well as spiritual purposes. Invoked against headaches and demonic possession. 


Talula was strangled to death in retaliation for performing a botched trepanation procedure which resulted in the patient's demise.

 
 

*   *   *


Trepanning, or trepanation, is drilling or scraping a hole in the skull in order to expose the brain. This was usually done as a cure for various physical and mental ailments. Evidence of the practise goes back to the Neolithic times. 

Hieronymus Bosch.

This little mummy was a commission. I'm really happy with the result, it's better than my first attempt. I'd purchased some more colours of pigment powders and a pot of Agrellan Earth in the meantime, so I could really go to town on the cracked skin and dusty clothing. The sculpting is better as well. Dimensions of the box are once again 6,5 x 7,5 x 3cm.





13 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! Fascinating concept and glimpse at some of histories most intriguing elements, as well as perfect execution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this series! I'll save money for a commission, I can't stop watching details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent work! Trepanation is totally creepy to me, so this one really hits that angle. That said, I do find it amusing that we have here a mummy with a fairly substantial hole in the skull, but the cause of death was something completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe the results you achieve on every piece. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another stunning piece, these have been an absolute joy to see. beautiful, creepy, baroque.

    The textures and colours are wonderful. Your style is instantly recognisable now across the net, there's something to said for that.

    I didn't know you were open to commissions! I know there's something I'd love to see you create in this wonderful style.

    Just amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Feel free to get in touch (email/messenger) if you'd like to discuss a commission. :)

      Delete
    2. I only just found this reply in my email lol. Awesome I'll contact you sometime soon.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.