Friday 28 September 2018

CLXXXVII. Kill Team: Second Necron Immortal and Warrior Reinforcements


Back to my Necron Kill Team. Since the last update their number has doubled, as I converted and painted three more Warriors and one Immortal.


This Immortal was converted from an actual Immortal model. It was missing its left leg from the knee down. I'm pretty sure I used that for one of my Technobarbarians last year. I found a Skitarii foot as replacement. The weapon, which represents a gauss blaster, is a splice of a Genestealer mining laser and a big gun from Belisarius Cawl. These Genestealer hands have a skeletal look that's very fitting for my Necrons. The head is once again a human skull.





Visible from the image below, she's shorter than her cancerous friend. While the warriors are pretty much skeleton clones, I envisioned the Immortals as being more diverse in appearance, as well as a bit less bare metal bones. You may have noticed the first Immortal has ears, and this one has lips. Further up the hierarchy we go, the less skeletal and less uniform they look. This is my visual interpreetation of Necron background, which says the higher up a Necron, the less of their 'self' was lost during the biotransference. I have ideas for other Necron units, which I might eventually convert even though I won't be able to use them in Kill Team.


The three new Warriors are nothing exciting. As I said, they need to look uniform, so there is minimal variation here.

There are four models left to do: the leader Immortal and three Flayed Ones. I have made up my mind on what I'll be doing with the Flayed (or at least what I'll attempt to do), and I procured the material. But I still want to do the last Immortal first. He should be the most impressive figure in the group, and will be interesting to convert.

*   *   *

There are a few new sculpts that I showed on Instagram, but they didn't get their own blog post. 


Three wooden sign posts. I love this kind of stuff and I definitely want to make more such terrain and basing accessories.




A happy little horse skull familiar. Can't wait to paint this guy. Good news is that a bunch of my sculpts, including these four, have been shipped to a caster this week. We're one step closer to having my scupts released!

18 comments:

  1. Your Necrons look suitably creepy and fit the fluff far better I think than the stock minis.

    That Horsehead Familiar is rather charming. Your sculpting has become so crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is incredible as always. So glad to hear you've sent things off to a caster as well.

    Are we ever going to see a tutorial or feature on the windmill? It looks amazing in the backgrounds but I'd love to see it up close someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I ran out of time before Legen, so I had to get creative to finish the windmill in time. I made it, and the result is good enough (especially on a table), but subpar when you take a close look. For my standards, at least. These time constraints are also the reason there was no post about it; I couldn't bother with documenting the process. However, this all means I will eventually have to go back to it and do extra work to fix it. There will be a post about that. However, I honestly cannot tell when that will be, as I have a ton of projects lined up right now.

      Delete
  3. That Immortal looks great. The extra arm is the eye-catcher, but the mismatched legs and the crackle paint are great little touches as well.

    I hadn't noticed the ears on the first one, and probably wouldn't have noticed the lips if you hadn't pointed them out. That's another really cool idea in this group, that the higher ranking Necrontyr kept more of their physical form as well as more of their minds.

    As for the familiar, well, I don't even know how you managed it, but you've made a horse skull cute. I mean, giving things hats always helps, but horses have some of the creepiest skulls I've ever seen, so making one of them cute is quite an accomplishment!

    Great news to hear that they're getting cast as well. I'd love to be able to buy one of those little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say. The whole vibe of creepyness they instil is superb. I really like the way of giving them some personality, the ears, the lips... that kind of things make them truly unique. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice...the first time since 1998 that Necorns have been interesting or cool. Loving your work on these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that this blog is a part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You talk about other Necron units "you won't be able to use them in Kill Team", but as all models and weapons in Kill Team have the same profiles as in 40k, you can use everythging in both games. Maybe not in balanced games, because of different points systems but in special scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Ana - Love your work! I found you through Instragram.

    These are by far my favorite Necrons. Would you mind sharing what paints/techniques you used to achieve that weathered look?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      They were painted with glazes and washes on top of black and white zenithal priming. The texture I got by stippling liquid green stuff on the exoskeleton before priming helps with the effect. As for which particular paints I used, it's hard to remember. Green, blue, white, off-white, bone, black, browns, red... The important thing is that you use watered down paint and gradually build up colour through a succession of glazes.

      Delete
  9. That familiar... its from Jan Svankmajer's Alice, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! :) The only difference is my sculpt is not wearing any trousers. But that's indeed one of the awesomely creepy animal skeleton critters from Alice.

      Delete
  10. Stumbled across your miniatures and was so impressed I had to come and leave a comment. Your models elicit all the horror in a way I can barely describe. Masterful :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.