Saturday, 4 February 2017

CXIV. Swampfiends: First of the Catfish-People


To be ready for the upcoming Malifaux campaign at my club I have to paint a small starting crew (35SS). After a bit of thinking I came up with a list that includes Spawn Mother as the leader, Bad Juju, a Waldgeist, a Silurid and a Will o'the Wisp. I'll also need a few bases of Gupps because Mother can (and most certainly will) summon them during the game. This will gradually grow into a larger pool of models led by Zoraida.

 Two Silurids and a Wisp. They were all subtly converted - just changed some details I didn't quite like. The assembly was not too difficult, luckily. Malifaux plastics can be a real pain when it comes to that.
First Silurid painted. Most people go with green skin (I guess because box art suggests it). I wanted to take mine a different way.

I assembled Spawn Mother, too. She is smaller than I imagined. Even more now that I cut off her feet to make it look like she is wading through water. Again, there were some details that bothered me. Her claws and fangs were ridiculously long. And there was something about the shape of that dorsal fin that just didn't look right. I sculpted whiskers so that she would resemble Silurids more; Wyrd made her look like a completely different species for some reason... If you care to see exactly what I changed you can find good images of an unconverted version HERE for comparison.
Painting starts from a light undercoat.
Then I go crazy with washes and glazes. This is still early WIP.
*   *   *

After reading my Crew's stat cards I realised I'll be able to generate Burning tokens as well as Poisoned... Took care of that right away:

And I made a second Scheme Marker, as you can see all the way at the beginning of the post. I like the idea of painting a new one to accompany each new post. They make neat thumbnails. I'll see if I can go through with that. 

*   *   *

Before I sign off, just a small update on my Fae faction. Many thanks to Florian Wortmann for sending me 15mm Fairy swarms I originally wanted to use for the Piper's crew, only to find out they had gone out of print. He happened to have them and kindly offered to give them away. The Fairies arrived through the post recently and I quickly painted them so they can join their master. Thanks again, Florian!


22 comments:

  1. A lot of great nightmare scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. The subtleties on the Silurid are really impressive. Love the look of the fairies and the piper too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great paint job!
    I'm looking forward to see more of that Wisp thing. It looks super creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilhelm. The wisps are ace. When I saw an early art preview, long before they were released as models, I immediately knew I wanted them.

      Delete
  4. These are just sublime! I really should get back to my forgotten huntsman project! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Indeed, you should. It looked promising. :)

      Delete
  5. Fantastic, ana. The trial silurid is spot on.

    The colors on the token (first photo) are especially effective. Love how you've worked some pale green and violet-blue in with the grey. I may "appropriate" that scheme at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, lovely, original... inspirational!!
    This blog has been a great discovery for me.
    So thanks for sharing Ana ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much good stuff in this post!

    I especially love your conversions on the Silurids - very much an upgrade on the stock sculpts.

    ReplyDelete