Tuesday 23 August 2016

CVII. The Wilderness Project vol.6

THE CHAPEL OF St. HUBERTUS - an update

 It has been a week since the first WIP post. In the meantime I have done the following:

The main entrance. This one is a double door. The process and materials are the same as for the side door. I put the Waywode coat of arms above it (they are the noble family that had this structure built). I sculpted the shield and copied the boar from a Bretonnian knight helmet. There is space on either side of it that will hopefully be filled with symmetrical reliefs of wodewoses. If I fail to sculpt that I'll have to come up with an alternative.
My next step was building up a roof  over this part.
I proceeded by covering the rest of the bare polystyrene parts with planks. The planked area above the door will get more detail at a later point.
The protrusions on the side of the chapel are done apart from the roof tiles and windowpanes. The latter will be inserted after after painting. The deer skull is a green stuff copy of a bit from Mierce Miniatures. Antlers are from the same company. It is not glued in place yet (it's temporarily being held in place with a pin) because it would get in the way when painting.

First of the wooden posts that will surround the chapel. It is scratch-built from balsa, card, pins, deer skulls (plaster copies this time) and a length of chain from my bits box.
This is it after painting. I'm happy with what I managed to achieve here. The only thing I don't like are the metal rings, which to me seem too thin for this diametre. A trip to the hobby shop for some better rings is in order before I get to work on the rest of the posts.
*   *   *
This is where we are at the moment. Stay tuned for more. Again - all comments, questions, critiques and suggestions are much appreciated.

18 comments:

  1. Magical. Sorry if you have covered this before but do you texture the wooden planks yourself from balsa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I lightly carve the texture on the balsa with a metal sculpting tool.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is going to be glorious. I love all the stuff you have been creating, and your imagination and the story that goes into your pieces are just wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It's all looking fantastic.

    To my eye the rings look to be the right size. The loops that fasten them to the metal bands could be bulked up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Finch!

      I think both could use bulking up. I'll buy several different sorts of rings and see what works best.

      Delete
  4. I think it's looking great! But there's just one thing that's niggling at me about it....the base looks terribly uneven & sloped too steeply for miniatures to stand on very well. Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?

    I really like your builds, because you go into a lot of detail explaining the process. How else is a hack like me gunna learn :DDD

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the one!

      I think might be the photos that are playing tricks on you. The base is flatter than it seems on the pic in the post. It's all white now, which makes things difficult to make out. Also, there is more work on it to be done. Since I knew I would handle the base a lot while making the building itself and it would get frayed on the edges for that reason, I did not finish it completely before moving on to the chapel.
      That said, I do admit it will be difficult for a mini to stand part on table, part on base. That is always an issue with polystyrene bases. But once it gets on the base it can sit there safely (unless it's very top-heavy).
      In my next post I'll do a few shots with minis placed around the chapel and from their point of view.

      Delete
  5. This is just incredible! I can't recall seeing a terrain project before which sets such a huge scope/challenge AND such high standards at the same time. I expect that the final result will be a wonderful homage to Paul Bonner's artwork, and will be a jewel of a terrain piece too. Looking forward to the next instalment Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Glad to see this progressing! The painted post already looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely comment on your blog (which, admittedly, is a shame), but I really admire your work and do follow it closely, pretty much checking this blog daily. Please do keep sharing your incredibly imaginative work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing stuff here as always.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.